The countdown is on: in two months, the 2022 World Cup will begin in Qatar. Sky expert Didi Hamann thought about it and put together his team for the Winter World Cup. Including small and big surprises.
The 59-time international and World Cup runner-up from 2002 relied on Bayern Munich’s squad, some of the DFB’s stars from international leagues and a surprise debut for the Storm. On the other hand, Hamann does not have a place for some of the top candidates for participation in the World Cup.
Click through: This is Hamann’s World Cup team
While Hamann remains committed to Florian Watts (still dealing with the after-effects of a torn hamstring), he won’t be taking Dortmund striker Marco Reus to Qatar. Reus suffered a lateral ligament injury in the Revierderby against Schalke – but this will heal in time for the World Cup.
“It’s an unfortunate injury, but one where you can start putting weight on (your foot) again very quickly,” explained DFB director Oliver Bierhoff, explaining that it was “very possible” for him to be nominated. .
In addition to Reus, Mario Götze from Eintracht Frankfurt, who has recently been frequently traded as a candidate, is not considered by Hamann.
DFB World Cup schedule at a glance
- 23.09.2022: Germany – Hungary (NL)
- 26.09.2022: England – Germany (NL)
- 14.11.-18.11.2022: Short-term training camp in Oman
- 16/11/2022: Oman vs Germany (Friendly)
- 23/11/2022: Germany – Japan (World Cup Group Stage)
- 27/11/2022: Spain vs. Germany (World Cup Group Stage)
- 01/12/2022: Costa Rica/New Zealand – Germany (World Cup Group Stage)
More about the author at skysport.de
All other important news from the world of sports can be found in News Update.